John G. Borden Middle School Guidance Department
What Does Guidance Do?
Guidance services are available to help each student get the most out of middle school. All students are encouraged to come to the guidance office and talk with the counselors regarding any concerns they might have. Counselors help students with educational program planning, study habits, personal and home concerns, health problems, social concerns, career plans, and decision making. Students should feel free to discuss their interests, plans, and difficulties with the counselors.
- The 4th Quarter Progress Report Period ends on Friday, May 16. Please expect progress reports to be mailed home the weekend of May 24.
- The spring edition of our newsletter, the Panther Pulse, is available HERE.
Summer Learning Academy
This summer, the Wallkill Central School District is again offering a Summer Learning Academy for students in Grades 7 and 8 who have experienced difficulties in their academics.The sixteen-day Summer Learning Academy will provide students with hands on, enrichment activities that integrate English, Math and Technology instruction with real life applications. Students will have the opportunity to strengthen their 21st Century learning skills by experiencing the power of learning by doing. Projects include:
- 7th grade students will research, design and create a wellness learning space that incorporates a relaxation nook, a crafting area and an active learning workspace. These ideas will be used to enhance the John G. Borden Middle School library.
- 8th grade students will research the physical and emotional effects of stress and gain a better understanding of mental health and wellness. Students will build a personalized toolbox of stress management strategies and create positive multi-media messages.
Students who participate must agree to attend all sixteen sessions of this summer enrichment series. After three (3) absences, a student may be removed from the program. As the brochure outlines, the Summer Learning Academy will be held at the Wallkill Senior High School. Classes will be held from 8:30 to 11:30 AM, Monday through Thursday, from July 8 through August 1. Please complete the Summer Learning Academy Registration as soon as possible and forward it to your student’s guidance counselor.
The finals schedule for students is available HERE.
- Social Studies - Thursday & Friday, June 13 & 14 - in class
- ELA - Monday, June 17
- Math - Wednesday, June 19
- Science 7 & Spanish Intro - Thursday, June 20
Counselors meet with core teachers daily for a team meeting. During this time teachers discuss student needs and solutions for student success. The time is also used to meet with students for extra help. Parents are invited to come in during a team meeting to discuss their child - please call us to make an appointment!
•7 Blue - 9:50am •7 White - 11:20am •8 Blue - 10:40pm •8 White - 8:25am
SchoolTool Parent Portal
SchoolTool Parent Portal is a way for parents to check student’s marking period grades, schedule, and attendance information. The District is making this available in an effort to improve communications to you about your child's progress to date. Please make sure you sign up for Parent Portal, if you haven't already, by contacting Mrs. Sheryl Affuso at the District Office. She can be reached at 895-7105 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Students who are 14 years old are eligible for working papers. Students may get an application in the Guidance Office once they are of age.
If you have recently moved to the Wallkill Central School District and you have a student that will be attending John G. Borden Middle School, please register him/her as soon as possible! Registration packets can be filled out with Mrs. Sheryl Affuso in our district office located at 19 Main Street in Wallkill. Mrs. Affuso can also be reached by phone at 895-7105